Saturday, July 21, 2007

Friday

Usually on Fridays in the summer, I like to find a client who lives pretty close, within a few hours and take them golfing or something. Yesterday I decided to take Terry Buohl from Harris Industries in Harrisburg, PA golfing. He is a great guy, a bit of a wild man but a good guy.

Anyway, I hopped on 78 and after a few hours I was there. I spend a lot of time in my car traveling to clients and stuff. I have a company car so it is not so bad. Anyway after 2 hours of ESPN Radio and another hour of some good classic rock I was there. The radio station was playing some Genesis. I always loved them. They are playing some concerts this fall and I am still trying to figure out if I can expense some tickets.

I picked up Terry and we went to his local golf course. Terry is not the best golfer but he is fun. I think he knows every line from Caddyshack and Tin Cup.

We did talk a little work. He told me his company has an option on some property in Newark, Delaware and wants to expand. That was the most interesting tid bit of the day. Obviously when a good client expands I can sell them more but they are expanding technically out of the Northeast into the Del-Mar-Va region. Curtis is the Sales Rep there and he is good guy and I would like to work more with him. I could bring him into the deal but that will take away my commissions but if we were able to work together more it would help me expand and maybe bring more money to me. I am more senior than Curtis and we talk all the time. Gil Miller, at the ECSLDC last week, talked about the "rising tide theory" we should all be aware of. I think it meant that if all of us sell more than the compay does better or that if we work together it will help us. I may use this as an opportunity to talk to Gil and see what he says.

After golf we went to a sports bar that Terry likes, Goalposts. We were able to watch some of the British Open on TV. I really do not want Sergio to win this, I hope an American golfer wins. I knew I was going to be driving a while home so I only had two beers and then moved to Arnold Palmers- Iced Tea and Lemonade. Terry knew I was paying so he was hitting it a little harder and was downing the Coronas. Anyway, after a burger and some beverages it was time to me to head back. Traffic was lousy driving back but I really don't mind.

Should be a fun weekend. We have a BBQ with a few of the families we are friends with. The British Open will be on in the mornings so I should get to watch it.

No comments: